Confederate Monument

Early in 1867, Dr. A. J. Beal called together a group of Confederate friends & sympathizers in Harrison County in his office. At which time an organization was founded to erect a fitting memorial to those fallen heroes to be known as the Cynthiana Memorial Association. The following officers were elected:

A.J. Beal, President
H.W. Shawhan, First Vice President
Newton Miller, Second Vice President
Henry W. Turtoy, Third Vice President
Caleb W. West, Secretary
Frank M. Curle, Treasurer<

The trustees of Battle Grove Cemetery donated a large lot & a campaign was immediately started to raise the necessary funds to errect a monument. After the monument was errected in 1869, the committee did not have sufficient funds to complete the planned project. It was not until 1902, when A. J. Beal retired & returned to Cynthiana that individual head stones were placed around the center monument. During the civil war, Harrison County was politically evenly split. Over 800 men from the county served in each the Confederate and Union armies. In 1869, the committee felt that any inscriptions engraved on the monument, so soon after the war, would cause undue animosity in the community. Thus, it was not until 1902 that the monument was inscribed with the following:

(North Side)

Erected May 27, 1869
By the Cynthiana Confederate Memorial Association
In Memory Of The Confederate Dead
Who Fell In Defense Of Constitutional Liberty

(South Side)

On Fame's eternal camping ground
Their silent tents are spread
And Glory guards, with solemn round,
The bivouac of the dead

"Their names shall never be forgot
While fame her records keep
And Glory guards the hallowed spot
Where valor proudly sleeps"